Monday, May 11, 2009

Dear Grandpa...Part II



Dear Grandpa,

My dad said you were asking for my brother and I, so we came the next day. When we walked in you were sitting up in the chair awake and alert, what a pleasant surprise! I could feel myself starting to choke up but I resisted. We made small talk, you didn't talk much. Charley read you the sports page. You started coughing and choking, your face turned red, then purple. I know this is somewhat normal and what happens with a trachea, but it doesn't make it any easier to watch. That was it, I couldn't control my tears, sorry. With a tearful look on your face, you reached out for mom, she gave you a hug. You mouthed "i love you so much". The next few moments were a blur, i couldn't stop crying. You held my hand and asked for a kiss. I leaned over and kissed your scruffy cheek...I am so glad you asked for a kiss, I don't know if I would have had strength to do it on my own. You looked exhausted, we asked if you wanted to sleep, you nodded your head. We said goodbye and i love you. That was it.
written April 10, 2009

Grandpa went home April 13, 2009. I got to say goodbye...it was lovely and tragic all at the same time. I know how blessed and lucky I am to have gotten to say goodbye, but it was very difficult and a bizarre thing to do. The Lord brought Grandpa home gently. Everyone got to say goodbye, even my cousin from Pittsburgh. Grandpa told everyone he was ready to go, he just wanted to say goodbye. Grandma, Aunt Connie and Dad were there for his last breaths and just like that he was home.

No comments: